Developmental Model and Assessment
STAGES is a recent theory and assessment methodology for human development, developed by Terri O’Fallon, Ph.D., and grown out of years of experience and research with development at Pacific Integral. This developmental model evolved from two previous generations of developmental research, first in the 1970’s by Jane Loevinger, then into the late 1990’s by Susanne Cook-Greuter. These previous instruments are the most widely-used, highly validated and reliable of developmental assessments available today. It integrates this lineage with an integral framework inspired by Ken Wilber’s AQAL model. STAGES incorporates new theoretical insights into human development and is grounded in statistically sound research.
- Recently offered theory and assessment methodology. While the developmental research on which it is based grew out of the Loevinger-Cook-Greuter developmental lineage, the theory and scoring method are completely new and applicable in multiple contexts and compatible with multiple assessment tools.
- Three new later stages of development. STAGES is now the most advanced assessment of later stages of development as it distinguishes and validates three new stages past Construct Aware (Turquoise) and provides a comprehensive map of development in the metaware, transpersonal stages.
- The first integral developmental model. STAGES is based on a deep integral view, incorporating quadrants, states, lines and types, assessing both context and whole person. As such, STAGES is the first statistical confirmation of Wilber’s theory.
- Deep structures and patterns of development. Based on essential patterns of development, STAGES articulates both the wave-like patterns, as well as vertical stage aspects of development.
- Statistically sound with a high level of reliability. Research results show STAGES is statistically trusted as a reliable, reproducible assessment methodology that correlates with Susanne Cook-Greuter’s model up through her Construct Aware stage.
How to Learn More
- Join us for STAGES Training this year
- Read about STAGES concepts in more depth by downloading articles from our Member Resource Area
- Receive your own personalized STAGES Assessment to discover your core developmental level, themes, challenges and growing edges