Developmental Model and Assessment
STAGES is a recent theory and assessment methodology for human development, developed by Terri O’Fallon, Ph.D., and grown out of years of experience and research with development in several institutions including Pacific Integral. This developmental model evolved from two previous generations of developmental research, first in the 1970’s by Jane Loevinger, then into the late 1990’s by Susanne Cook-Greuter. These previous instruments are the most widely-used, highly validated and reliable of developmental assessments available today. STAGES integrates this lineage with an integral framework inspired by Ken Wilber’s AQAL model. STAGES incorporates its theoretical insights into human development and is grounded in a statistically research study.
- Recently offered theory and assessment methodology. While the developmental research on which it is based grew out of the Loevinger-Cook-Greuter developmental lineage, the theory and scoring method are new and applicable in multiple contexts.
- Three new later stages of development. STAGES distinguishes three new stages past Construct Aware (Turquoise) and provides a comprehensive map of development in the metaware, transpersonal stages.
- An Integral developmental model. STAGES is based on a deep integral view, incorporating quadrants, states, lines and types, assessing both context and whole person.
- Deep structures and patterns of development. Based on essential patterns of development, STAGES articulates both wave-like patterns, as well as vertical stage aspects of development.
- Research support with a study that shows a high level of reliability. The results of this study indicates that STAGES is statistically trusted as a reliable, assessment methodology that reproduces the scoring of Susanne Cook-Greuter’s model up through her Construct Aware stage.
How to Learn More
- Join us for STAGES Training this year
- Read about STAGES concepts in more depth by downloading articles from our Member Resource Area
- Receive your own personalized STAGES Assessment to discover your core developmental level, themes, challenges and growing edges